Brian Wice – Appellate Attorney
Brian Wice has been recognized by his peers as one of the top criminal appellate and post-conviction writ lawyers in Texas. Over the past forty years, he has devoted the entirety of his practice to criminal law. Brian graduated magna cum laude from the University of Houston with a degree in journalism, having worked his way through school as a sportswriter for the Daily Cougar and the Houston Post. He worked his way through law school at the University of Houston, where he served on the Houston Law Review, an honor bestowed only on those students who were exceptional scholars or writers. He completed an internship in the Criminal and Appellate Sections of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Texas, as a third-year law student. Afterward, Brian served as a law clerk for Judge Sam Houston Clinton on the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, Texas’ highest criminal appellate court.
Brian Wice can be frequently seen on KPRC-TV – Channel 2, the NBC affiliate in Houston, and MSNBC. He was honored by the Houston Press as the Best Legal Analyst in Houston. He has appeared on the Today Show, Dateline-NBC, 48 Hours, 20-20, Good Morning America, CNN’s New Day, Anderson Cooper 360, and the 11th Hour with Brian Williams, and every notable criminal justice show, on network and cable television.
Brian’s articles and op-ed pieces on the criminal justice system have appeared in Texas Lawyer, Houston Metropolitan Magazine, the Houston Chronicle, the Texas Bar Journal, and the Houston Lawyer.
Awards, Honors, And Service To The Bar
Brian has been selected as “Attorney of the Year” by both the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association. He has been honored with the coveted AV-rating by Martindale-Hubbell, given to a select few in the bar and selected as a Texas Super Lawyer in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Brian has also been an adjunct professor of law at the University of Houston and has been a frequent lecturer for the past three decades at legal seminars across Texas and the United States. He was honored for his service as a continuing legal education instructor by the State Bar of Texas with its Standing Ovation Award.
AWARDS, LEGAL PUBLICATION, TELEVISION & ASSOCIATIONS
- 2016 Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers’ Association: “Attorney of the Year”
- 2009-2013 Top-Rated Appellate Lawyer: AV-Preeminent (Martindale-Hubbell)
- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 Texas Super Lawyer
- 2010 Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association: “Attorney of the Year”
- 2009 Houston Press Best of Houston: “Best Criminal Defense Attorney”
- 2008 Houston Press Best of Houston: “Best Move by an Appellate Lawyer”
- 1998 Houston Press Best of Houston: “Best Sound Bite Lawyer”
- 2012 State Bar CLE: “Standing Ovation” Award
- 2013 Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers’ Association: Presidential Award
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- The Hartford Courant Op-Ed Page
- The Houston Chronicle Op-Ed Page
- The Houston Post Op-Ed Page
- Sunday Magazine of the Houston Post
- Sunday Section of the Hartford Courant
- D Magazine
- Houston Metropolitan Magazine
- Texas Bar Journal
- St. Mary’s Law Journal
- South Texas Law Journal
- Houston Law Review
- National Journal of Criminal Defense
- Commentator: COURT TV/TRU TV: 1992 – 2012
- Legal Analyst: MSNBC: 2000 – Present
- Legal Analyst: KPRC-TV Channel 2 (NBC Houston): 1995 – 1997; 2004 – Present
- Legal Analyst: KRIV-TV Channel 26 (Fox Houston): 1997 – 2000
- Legal Analyst: KHWB-TV Channel 39 (WB Houston): 2000 – 2004
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association